Attractive original certificate for GBP50 of ordinary stock in The Metal Box Company Limited. Issued 18 August 1961, received (cashed) 18 June 1980 (stamped). Holder’s name is Mrs Olga Agnes Callaghan. Certificate number is 127996. This is an authentic original document in good condition. Please see scanned images (front and back) for more details. Note: This item has no stock or bond value, and is on offer for sale as a collector’s item only. A history of The Metal Box Company Limited: The Metal Box Company of The Langham, Portland Place, London, W1. Maker of plain and decorated tins and tins for fruit and vegetables (1932), of Baker Street, London; of Reading (1974). 1810: Claimed foundation although several of the constituent companies preceded that date. 1921: Formed as a private company, Metal Box and Printing Industries Ltd, when it acquired controlling interests in Hudson Scott and Sons of Carlisle and Newcastle est. 1799, Barclay and Fry Ltd of London and Portsmouth est. Atkins and Co Ltd of Hull est. 1897, Henry Grant and Co Ltd, of London est. 1895 1924: Acquired I. Hodgson and Co Ltd of Newcastle est. Gee and Sons of Liverpool est. 1860 1929: Acquired Edward C. Barlow and Sons of London est. 1929: Acquired a perfume factory in Blind Lane (Chequers Way), Palmers Green. Boutle and Co of London est. 1880 and the British Sure Seal Co of London est. 1900 1930: Took over G. Williamson and Sons of Worcester est. 1838 and Excel Canister Co Ltd of London est. 1915 1930: Became a public company. Name changed to Metal Box Company Ltd. 1931: Acquired the British Can Co, of Acton, London. 1932: Public issue of shares; fruit and vegetable canning represented only 20 percent of the business but was growing rapidly and was expected to be an important part of the business in future. 1934: Metal Box started rebuilding when the Blind Lane factory disappeared due to the construction of the North Circular. 1935: Two brewers in the Llanelli area, where tinplate was made, saw the opportunity for increased local employment from canning beer. One of these was Felinfoel Brewery, with family interests in the tinplate industry, who prompted Metal Box Co to work with the St. Davids Tinplate Co to make the first British beer cans; these were then sent to Felinfoel for filling. WWII: Made many things for war service including 140 million metal parts for respirators, 200 million items for precautions against gas attacks, 410 million machine gun belt clips, 1.5 million assembled units for anti-aircraft defence, mines, grenades, bomb tail fins, jerrican closures and water sterilisation kits, many different types of food packing including 5000 million cans, as well as operating agency factories for the government making gliders, production of fuses and repair of aero engines. 1947: Listed Exhibitor – British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Metal Containers, Composites, Cartons, Caps, Closures, Advertising and Show Material Paper. A Complete Packaging Service Packed by Extensive Technical Research. Market Research and Publicity Departments, and Design and Photographic Studios. Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 1954: Acquired Flexible Packaging Ltd, a subsidiary of Transparent Paper Ltd. 1961: Jointly-owned company, Liquid Packaging Ltd, was formed by the company with a new company to be formed by John Waddington Ltd and International Paper Co of New York, to handle the distribution and sale of machines for making and filling Pure-Pak paper containers 1961: Ten subsidiary and 13 associated companies. More than 25,000 employees. Manufacture containers, plain and decorated, in tinplate, blackplate, aluminium, paper and card; composite containers of paperboard and metal; containers in rigid and flexible plastics; printed labels; advertising novelties and display stands. 1961: Acquired Wallis Tin Stamping Co. 1964: Metal Box was the largest user of tinplate in Britain. 1973: The company had some 900 employees at the Blind Lane factory. 1973: As part of its policy of diversification into domestic heating, Metal Box acquired Stelrad. 1974: Used a Modulex model system when deciding on the layout of its new factory in Peterborough in order to arrange services and machinery. 1976: Added to its domestic heating business by acquiring the domestic and industrial boiler business of Ideal-Standard. Changed name to MB Group. This item is in the category “Coins & Paper Money\Stocks & Bonds, Scripophily\Transportation\Railroads”. The seller is “huntlym” and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Circulated/Uncirculated: Circulated
- Modified Item: No
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United Kingdom