CREME DE LA CREME OF BAY AREA RAILWAY BONDS!!! Railroads ONLY 1 and THUS FINEST KNOWN!!! IRREPLACEABLY RARE MUSEUM PIECE. For the San Francisco Oakland and San Jose Railway Company , which was a consolidation of the two lines profiled below. Hold Bay Area History in your hands!! This company provided both rail and ferry service between San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose, as indicated by its steel engraved vignette! Huge vignette of San Francisco Bay with a plethora of turn-of-the century ships, flanked by 2 amazing Griffins! Comes with a FULL SHEET of Coupons numbered 1-30, each with the same red serial number 00000 and each with a head-on view of an approaching trolley!! Do the math and you’ll appreciate the incredible collectible value this bond represents. A one-of-a-kind HISTORIC TREASURE that belongs in a museum, the boardroom of one of the institutions or businesses that evolved from or is related to its original issuer, or the astute collector who is passionate about Bay Area history and will forever preserve its legacy. San Francisco and San Jose Railroad. Locomotive #11 of the SFSJ. The San Francisco and San Jose Railroad (SF&SJ) was the first railroad to link the communities of San Francisco. And San Jose, California. Running the length of the San Francisco Peninsula. The company incorporated in 1860 and opened the first portion of its route in 1863, completing the entire 49.5-mile (80 km) route in 1864. The company was consolidated with the Southern Pacific Railroad. And the Union Pacific Railroad. Continue to operate trains over the company’s original route. The company incorporated on August 18, 1860. As president and the company headquarters in San Francisco. The railroad was cofounded by San Francisco blacksmith, Peter Donahue. Who had established the Union Iron Works. Donohue’s friend Henry Newhall. A successful San Francisco auctioneer, became the third founder of the railroad. Grading and construction of the line began on July 15, 1861 using redwood ties and 50-pound-per-yard (25 kg/m) rail. The line opened between San Francisco and Menlo Park. On October 17, 1863 and reached San Jose on January 16, 1864. The railroad cut what had previously been an eight-hour trip by “steamboat and stagecoach” to three-and-a-half hours. The first full-sized steam locomotive produced in the state of California, an American 4-4-0. Was built for the SF&SJRR by the Union Iron Works. It was appropriately named the California. Its inaugural run was August 30, 1865, during which it set a speed record of 67 miles per hour (108 km/h). The Southern Pacific Railroad. Acquired the company in March 1868, and the Southern Pacific and Central Pacific were consolidated as the Southern Pacific on October 12, 1870, nearly seven years to the day after the first trains ran between San Francisco and Menlo Park. Today the tracks are owned by the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board. Also known as Caltrain. That operates commuter rail. The Union Pacific Railroad. San Francisco and Oakland Railroad. The San Francisco and Oakland Railroad (SF&O) was built in 1862 to provide ferry-train service from a San Francisco. Ferry terminal connecting with railroad service through Oakland. It subsequently was absorbed into the Southern Pacific Railroad. The track in Oakland was electrified in 1911 and extended across the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Service was abandoned in 1941. The San Francisco and Oakland Railroad and Ferry Co. Was formed under the leadership of Rodman Gibbons and other Oakland people in order to provide transportation to Oakland by means of a ferry. From San Francisco to a pier at Oakland Point. Where passengers could take a train into Oakland. Service began in 1862 along 7th St. To a station in downtown Oakland. Traffic increased steadily so an extension of the line was planned. In 1864 the track was extended across a bridge over Indian Creek Slough, the outlet to Lake Merritt. Then along private right-of-way adjacent to San Antonio Creek Oakland Estuary. To the Commerce St. Wharf (foot of 14th Ave) in San Antonio. The cost of the extension and of building a new larger ferry boat caused Gibbons and his associates to lose control of the company. In 1865 control of the SF&O passed to A. Cohen, president of the San Francisco and Alameda Railroad. The Central Pacific Railroad. (CP) decided to make Oakland the western terminus of the transcontinental railroad. Had surveyed a line from San Jose. In 1869 this line was first connected to the SF&A and then to the SF&O. On the morning of November 8, 1869, the first transcontinental train to use the expanded ferry terminal at Oakland Point traversed the SF&O and the Western Pacific Railroad to get to Sacramento and continue east on the Central Pacific Railroad. The city of Oakland held a large celebration later in the day to greet the first westbound transcontinental train. One of its main streets, was not a good idea for either the city or the railroad. During 1869 and 1870, a bypass track was constructed starting in San Antonio and using a new bridge across Indian Creek Slough that led to 1st St. And along this street to Oakland Point. And Broadway Jack London Square. After 1879, the transcontinental trains no longer used the Altamont Pass route, taking a shorter route from Sacramento via Benicia. To reach Oakland Pier. Instead, but trains to Los Angeles. Continued to use the former SF&O and Western Pacific routes to reach San Jose. There was still a large amount of traffic of local steam passenger trains as the service was extended farther into East Oakland. The Central Pacific Railroad was leased to the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1885. In 1911 the SP started electifying its local train service in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area). The Oakland 7th St. Line was extended to Dutton Ave. And carried the most passengers of any line in the system. In 1939, under the subsidiary company, Interurban Electric Railway. (IER) the line was rerouted over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge into the San Francisco Transbay Terminal. IER service on the 7th St. Line was abandoned in March, 1941, but the track on 7th St. From Broadway to Pine St. Was put back in service (19431946) during World War II. To enable streetcars of the Key System. To reach several military installations. Ferry El Capitan was built by Central Pacific in 1868. The first ferryboat used by the SF&O, the leased Contra Costa , had previously been in service from San Francisco to the foot of Broadway. With the extended railroad line, traffic increased considerably and the Louise was soon inadequate for regular service. In 1868, the Central Pacific Railroad controlled the SF&O and anticipated much increased traffic when the transcontinental railroad was completed to Oakland. They ordered a new even larger ferryboat, the El Capitan , from a new shipyard at Oakland Point, and placed it in service. It was unnamed, but was unofficially called Old Betsy. By 1869, a more powerful locomotive was needed to pull longer trains, so a new 4-4-0 type locomotive was ordered and named the Oakland. With the SF&O merged into the Central Pacific Railroad in 1870, the former SF&O locomotives were sent to various other locations on the CP system and CP locomotives were brought in to pull the local trains on 7th St. Vulcan Iron Works, San Francisco. Became California Pacific RR # 178; rebuilt as 4-4-0 in 1872; became Stockton & Copperopolis # 3; then Southern Pacific # 1101; retired 1892. Cooke Locomotive and Machine Works. Became California Pacific RR shop switcher in Sacramento; retired 1877. The item “UNLISTED 1906 SAN FRANCISCO OAKLND SAN JOSE SPECIMEN BOND w COUPONS, EACH w TRAM” is in sale since Friday, December 23, 2016. This item is in the category “Coins & Paper Money\Stocks & Bonds, Scripophily\Transportation\Railroads”. The seller is “collect-a-thon” and is located in New York, New York. This item can be shipped worldwide.